Bortistu – a mountain farm at the bottom of Storlidalen, in Oppdal Municipality
In 2016, 4th generation of the Storli family took over the ownership and management of Bortistu. Linda Mai and Rune and their four children now manage the farm. The children are picked up by a school bus and attend school at Lønset and in Oppdal.
Because the farm is rather small, there have always been an additional variety of activities such as hunting and tourism. In the 1880s, the first guests came to farms, and Bortistu was chosen as quarters when The Norwegian Trekking Association, Trondheim, was founded. They then established a grid of trekking routes in Trollheimen, and Kristoffer Haugen from Bortistu participated in marking the paths. He was one of the country's last professional hunters and spent a lot of time in the mountains, and had a good additional income through hunting and fishing.
Today's Bortistu is a mountain farm under cultural protection, a farm operation without livestock, focusing on tourism. Restoration of the buildings has taken place throughout the 1900s, and Bortistu now appears as a venerable guesthouse for our visitors. Here you will find inspiration and rest, as well as room for reflection.
Bortistu is located in the middle of Storligrenda, which consists of six farms:
Sheep farming and tourism were combined until 2000, but since then we have focused solely on tourism. The barn has been converted into banqueting and conference rooms on two floors, and with a built-in reception. Antiquarian considerations are given priority.
- Gammelstoggo: Built in 1648. The original building is extended twice, in 1846 and 1920.
- In 1956 the building was further extended, with an angled extension. Full restoration in 1990. Contains 10 bedrooms, 4 living rooms, 2 kitchens and cellars for the production of farm food.
- Bestemorstoggo: Built in 1948. Extended and restored in 1978 and 2016. Private residence.
- Tussebu: Farmhouse, restored in 1967 and 2016. Private residence.
- Fjøset: Built in 1938. Restored to conference and banqueting facilities in 2005, can accommodate 110 guests on the ground floor and 50 guests in the basement.
- Stabburet: Built in 1848. Restored in ordered to house historical photo exhibition in 1999.
- Snowmobile garage: Restored for exhibition of old farm equipment etc. in 2002.
- Kvannflatløa: Built in 1811. The farm’s hay barn built in timber, restored in 1993. Used as a resting place for Storli cultural heritage trail, starting at Bortistu.
Other buildings in use:
- Oppstoggo: Rental cottage in old Oppdal style, built in 1995.
- Eldhusstoggo: Rental cabin, built in 1998.
- Nystoggo: Rental cabin, built in 2006. Course room for 5 - 15 persons.
- Smia: Built approx. 1750. Farm smithy used to make both lamps, railings, tools, horseshoes and much more. Smia is intact.
- Bassto: Built in approx. 1850. Previously used for drying grain for malt-beer brewing. It is now used for drying, smoking and maturing of leg of lamb, lamb shanks and brown trout.
- Kvenn house: originally a mill house for grinding grain. Later used as a calf house, staurhus. Today it is used as a playroom for the benefit of younger guests and the children living on the farm.
- Staur-hus: There are two of these, one with a new roof. The other has been moved back to the farm from the outskirts and rebuilt; this is located below the barn and the garage.
In the houses there is a historical exhibition and photo gallery (with texts), displaying everyday life and celebration on the farm for generations. All items exhibited are from the farm, which has been owned by the family since 1903.